Monday, November 17, 2008

Barriers to Implementing 1:1

I'm afraid there are many barriers to implementing 1:1 computing in my school. As in most schools this year, our budget has been trimmed down substantially. Unfortunately, we just don't have the resources right now to introduce 1:1 computing. If we did have the resources, however, I'm not really sure that they would go toward funding such a program. We are still working on getting LCD projectors in every academic classroom, so I think that would be the first order of business.

Another barrier I see with 1:1 is our system server. I think it would just give up and shut down if that many computers were logged on at the same time. We would need more tech people which means even more money for jobs that isn't available.

When talking about 1:1 computing with my students the other day, we came up with countless ways that it would help in the classroom. Since I teach in a very affluent community as it is, my students are very up to date on technology. There are so many things that we could do in class with computers but are able to. My students could teach me so much, and I could help them enhance their learning as well with the implementation of 1:1.

3 comments:

gretchygirl32 said...

Budgeting is such a huge barrier in implementing a 1:1 program. You also have a good point mentioning a school server. I know our server struggles with what we have now, let alone if we add thousands more computers. More jobs would be great, but where would the salaries come from? You've made great points that align with mine. It's a great idea, but near impossible to be successful without a bottomless budget.

Erin Noh said...

It is disappointing to hear that the school budget has trimmed down.

I think it might be too early to talk about 1:1 computing if your school is just getting LCD projectors in the classrooms...

Hopefully things will get better soon.

Anonymous said...

That is great that you discussed with your students about the advantages of 1 to 1 computing in your classroom. I agree with you that if there is more technology then there is the challenge of it not always working and we don't wont to get to dependent on it. I also agree with you that more jobs would have to open up to help with technology in the classroom which would demand more money from the budget.